Tuesday, December 16, 2014

GoPro Housing: I'm Dreaming of A Techy Christmas

Disclaimer: I received a product to review. All opinions are my own.

My new obsession is my GoPro Hero 3 (more on that later), but there are some drawbacks to it. The biggest of which is the shiny waterproof case. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but for paranormal investigators, bigfoot hunters, hunters, and anyone who films in the dark it is quite a big deal. See, there are other cameras rolling and the shine can cause issues when taking pictures, and may even cause it to look like there is something else in the photo. Being a paranormal investigator, I try to minimize shine when I can, although I have mistakenly wore shoes with reflectors on them. (believe me, I only did this once). Shiny objects can cause the same type of problem. As an example, let's check out this Instagram photo that shows what reflectors do.


A photo posted by cari (@cari_on) on
Do you see that little bit of shine? Imagine in a completely dark room and a powerful flash or IR lights going? That is why the stock housings have a drawback for paranormal investigators.

There is a really cool solution though. While you can get neoprene covers and stickers for the housings, they are just not the quality that is desired for a camera like GoPro Hero cameras.


How gorgeous is that? Guess what? I used a flash. Can you tell how amazing this housing is? The paint and quality of the job is amazing. Even better than the product is the story of how it came to be.

Here is the story:

I am a Veteran of OEF 11/12 and have a business where I custom paint the housings for the very popular GoPro series of Camera’s, specifically the Hero 3/3+/4. I started making these in Afghanistan as I wore a Hero on my ACH Combat Helmet during most of the operations that we went on. When I was overseas, several other soldiers that also had GoPro Hero camera’s saw the quality work that I had done on my GoPro housing and asked me to camouflage theirs as well.

Cheers and be safe!
-Rob

Rob currently makes about 15 different camos and sells them exclusively through Stuntcams.  I always love hearing what veterans are up to and being able to support them. While I know that these are very beneficial to many of us, I imagine they have saved lives when used in military settings. Good job Rob!

No comments:

Post a Comment