Monday, May 25, 2015

10 Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Your Voice Recorder

We all know that I basically have a voice recorder attached to me. Over the years, I have learned a few things about recording with these handy devices, and I'm always looking for ways to get a better quality recording. I think you guys will benefit from my research as well.

1. When possible, use an external microphone. This will help cut down on any mechanical noise the recorder might make. 

2. Lay the recorder on a steady surface instead of keeping it in your hand (when possible). This will help keep down on static noise caused by your hand. 

3. When speaking, speak clear and precise.

4. When paranormal investigating, be sure to tag any noise you make or that you can identify at the time. You can simply state "that was me bumping into the table"

5. In addition to this, it's a good idea to time stamp if something is strange. This helps when going back to watch video as well. Plus, when you are going over the investigation, other team members might have the answer to the strange happenings. 

6. Get a good audio editor for your computer. This will save you a lot of time and allow you to cut out sections of audio to send on or for evidence presentation. I recommend Audacity and it's free. I actually use this to edit podcasts. 

7. Add a brief introduction each time you start to record. Include the date, time, people present, case information, and any other pertinent information. 

8. When recording interviews and similar, make sure to know the laws in your area. For example, in South Carolina, only one person has to consent to be recorded. I ask anyway though, just so they know what is going on. 

9. Get to know your recorder before using it for the first time. You want to be familiar with it before it counts. Run a few practice sessions with it. 

10. When shopping for a digital voice recorder, be sure that you find one you are comfortable using. If you are not tech savvy, don't worry about all the extra features. After all, you don't want to be fumbling at the last minute. 

This is part of a content series as a courtesy to Uqique because I love their recorder so much. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment